(1 minute read)
Employee engagement is more than just liking your job, it’s a measure of how committed individuals are to the company and its success. Engaged employees are more motivated toward the work they are doing and demonstrate a greater level of emotional investment in the success of their team, department, or the organisation.
Engaged employees demonstrate a clearer view and understanding of the objectives and outcomes of the work they are undertaking.
Recent (2023) research findings by workforce analysts at Culture Amp have identified the following benefits to engaged employees.
- Generate up to 43% more revenue.
- Are 57% more likely to achieve work-related goals.
- Have 20% fewer workplace accidents.
- Have 27% less absenteeism.
- Are 5 x less likely to leave.
7 Ways to Build and Nurture Employee Engagement
While it’s not an overnight fix, here are some actions leaders and managers can take to enhance engagement amongst their employees.
- Ensure team/company goals are clear to all staff.
- Explain and demonstrate how each team members work contributes toward the success of the company.
- Ensure leaders and managers are in-tune and in-step with their staff.
- Celebrate the small wins.
- Invite and encourage input from all team members.
- Provide them with the tools they need to succeed/excel.
- Permit them to grow & develop.
When employees feel part of a team, and when their input is acknowledged and valued, engagement increases. Therein lies the upside.